A Day Full of Healthy and Hearty Food Vlog and 2 Recipes | 2nd Recipe: Traditional Turkish Green Lentil Soup With Erişte | Perfect For Winter

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Hello! 
For this post, I will be describing the detailed recipe of the"Traditional Turkish Green Lentil Soup with Eriştefrom my latest healthy food vlog. Don't forget to watch my youtube video for a better sense of how I make one modern and one traditional dish with several traditional winter staples from Turkish cuisine

For the recipe of "Chickpea Salad, my modern take" head over to this post.

Let me know in the comments, what kind of recipes would you like to see here and on my Youtube channel.


traditional Turkish green lentil soup with erişte, family recipe

this soup is so warming and filling that it could be considered as a main dish for a lazy day. especially during winter, I can have this soup once a week but we have so many different recipes, it never comes to that. as I decided to share some of my favourite healthy and hearty recipes with you on my youtube channel, this soup and the chickpea salad looked like the best recipes to start with. however, sharing a recipe as detailed as possible on a silent food vlog is quite challenging, especially if it's a traditional recipe with local ingredients. and that's one of my main reasons to start this blog. 

details & changes I made to the recipe

in the case of tomato and red pepper paste;
  • the tomato paste and red pepper paste are traditional homemade ingredients. there are, of course, industrialised versions in every store and shop. the homemade versions are sold in small shops all over Turkey. although letting the paste dry is a difficult process, of course, you can make them at home. you can probably find them at a middle eastern food store. 
  • if I only had branded regular store-bought paste at home, I wouldn't use the tomato one at all and I'd only use half the given amount of the red pepper paste with four fresh tomatoes, pureed with a blender. it seems like I'm going on and on about these pastes but they affect the flavour so much that I felt obligated to explain the difference.
  • Turkish red pepper paste shouldn't be confused with the Asian red pepper paste, they are different
  • you can also use the hot red pepper paste. I usually, use the hot one. 

in the case of other things;
  • preserved tomato sauce; my mother makes and stocks jars of preserved tomato sauce every summer. instead, you can also use two fresh tomatoes, pureed with a blender. 
  • dried thyme; now, in my humble opinion, that is another game-changing factor -aside for the pastes, I know, I know!- for this soup. dried thyme up the flavour of this soup to another level, trust me. I used the fresh thyme, it doesn't give the same effect. dried herbs are always richer in taste. 
  • there is a very similar French recipe of this green lentil soup, I will also share it if you'd like, let me know in the comments.
  • the amount of black pepper, red pepper flakes is entirely up to you and your tolerance for spicy food. though, black pepper can be easily over-powering, be careful about that.
  • as I stated on the video, erişte is a traditional type of pasta or noddle. it's usually made in bulk at home, dried and preserved for a long time. at our home, we mostly use it for soups. you can probably find branded erişte options at middle eastern food stores. I'm planning to make a video on homemade pasta including historic erişte and other traditional Turkish pasta types, hopefully soon. 



ingredients (serves for 8 people generously)

2 tbsp butter (or olive oil, if you are vegan)
1 heaped tbsp red pepper paste, homemade
1 heaped tbsp tomato paste, homemade
1 small bowl of preserved tomato sauce or two fresh tomatoes, pureed in a blender
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
250 gr green lentil, rinsed, boiled for 15 minutes, then drained
1/2 bowl of erişte or a small type of pasta  (this amount might be a lot if it's a store-bought pasta)
1 + 1/2 litre of boiling hot water or chicken stock
1/2 bowl of chickpeas, rinsed, soaked overnight and boiled for 15 minutes, then drained. 
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt
2 tsp dried thyme and more for later



method

the method is super simple after dicing and soaking and boiling the necessary things and comprehending my rant on tomato and pepper pastes. hahah 

just add everything in this order and saute them a little bit every time. 

sauté the onions in melted butter until they are translucent.
add the diced green peppers and sautee for a minute.
add the pastes and saute for 30 seconds.
add the preserved tomato sauce or pureed fresh tomatoes and let it boil a minute. 
add the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes.
add the boiled and drained green lentils, sautee for 30 seconds.
add the stock or boiling water. even if I said it's one and a half of litre water, you should still add it slowly and check its consistency. you can add more or less to your liking.
add the boiled and drained chickpeas and stir a couple times and let it boil.
after the soup is started to boil, add the erişte and stir a couple of times. 
let the soup boil until the chickpeas and erişte are cooked enough, for 15-20 minutes. 
only then add 1 tsp dried thyme and stir, after a little bit boiling, take the soup from the heat.
serve a big bowl by sprinkling more dried thyme.

bon appetit,

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. This sounds so scrummy! Definitely going to give it a go. B x
    www.babblesnbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like it as much as I do. ^^

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Total Pageviews

Subscribe