Eggs with Spinach & Caramelised Onions: Perfect For Brunch

Tuesday, November 03, 2020



Eggs with Caramelised Onions is a very old recipe that is famously known belonging to the Ottoman Palace Kitchen. We can also say it is the starting point for Menemen. It is said in the old recipe books that the onions must be caramelised over as low heat as a candle's fire and as slowly cooked as from dawn till dusk. Of course, I didn't caramelise the onions that long but I used the lowest heat possible on the stove. 

For this version, I wanted to add some fresh spinach leaves and roots to the onions and sprinkle some tulum cheese on top before serving. You can also add some mushrooms with spinach leaves but I wanted to make it simple this time. 



INGREDIENTS 

(for one person)

2 shallots, diced 
1 bowl of fresh spinach leaves with roots, chopped 
1 egg
1 tbsp butter
a pinch of salt
a pinch of sugar

1 tbsp of tulum cheese 

METHOD

In a small pan or small casserole/güveç pot with a lid, melt 1 tbsp of butter and add the onions. Keep the heat as low as possible. Caramelise the onions by slowly and continuously stirring. When they are tender add the sugar and keep stirring until they are slightly brown and about to melt. If you don't use extremely low heat, onions will be burnt. Keep that in mind. 

After the onions are caramelised which won't take too much time because it's only two shallots, add the chopped spinach leaves and roots and fold together with the onions. 

Don't let the spinach melt too much, 2 minutes of folding would be enough. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, fold one more time and crack an egg. 

Close the lid and let the egg cook slowly over low heat, approximately, 3 minutes. Avoid overcooking the egg.

Serve it with a slice of bread and sprinkle some tulum cheese on top. 

Bon Appetit,


You Might Also Like

10 Comments

  1. This sounds delicious. I love spinach at the moment as well, I probably end up having it most days in a wrap with other ingredients for lunch! I'd like to give this a go though, I'm a big fan of caramelised onions too. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to make and tasty. I hope you'll give it a try! ^^

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing!! I'm such a sucker for any meal that included eggs :)

    Sophie - www.thatpalerose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much. I'm the same, I can include eggs into every recipe.^^

      Delete
  3. I'm not an onion fan but this does look like a good recipe in general. Will have to share with my mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you^^ I can't eat raw onion as well but when it's caramelised I like it. I hope your mom would like it as well.^^

      Delete
  4. This sounds divine, *adds to the cookbook as we speak* I have to, once you see it you cannot unsee it <3

    xoxo Ana
    http://www.adreamersland.com
    http://www.facebook.com/adreamersland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! If you ever make it please tag me on instagram that would make me so happy! Have a nice day!

      Delete
  5. Hi. This sounds delicious. I love eggs and spinach so this sounds like a winning recipe to me! I don't think I've ever tried sheep's milk cheese before - forgive my ignorance, is it anything like goat's milk cheese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'd like it. As for Tulum cheese, goat cheese is heavier and softer as far as I know. Tulum is saltier and drier, you can easily sprinkle it.

      The other quenelled cheese on top of the bread is a yogurt cheese, easily homemade. I will film the making of it soon for my youtube channel. I thought I should let you know in case you are cheese enthusiast like me. hahah

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Total Pageviews

Subscribe