Caramelised Cinnamon Rolls with Walnuts Baked in Cast Iron

Wednesday, June 17, 2020


So the other day, I bake three different types of bread with the same dough. One of them was these cinnamon rolls with walnuts and butter sauce. The dough is my usual fresh yeast recipe. I totally winged the whole thing and let my cast iron pot do its wonder. As a result, the sugar inside the bread was well caramelised and it was so tasty. Here is the recipe: 

Ingredients 

For the dough
2 + 1/4 cup flour
10 gr fresh yeast
1 cup of warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

For the Filling
100gr butter, soft
10 tbsp sugar
5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly crushed

For the sauce
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt 
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted 
2 Tbs. milk 
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


Method 
Melt the yeast in warm water, add the olive oil. 
Combine the flour and the salt in a large bowl. 

Pour the liquid in and stir with a wooden spoon. 
Mix everything and knead if necessary to get a smooth dough. 

Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap let it rise for 1+1/2 hour. 

Put the risen dough into a floured surface and knead a little bit to get a smooth dough. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape of 1/2 cm thick. 

With a spatula spread the soft butter to cover the surface. You don't have to use all the butter if the surface was covered enough. 
Mix the sugar and the cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle all over the butter layer. 

Sprinkle the roughly crushed walnuts. 

Starting at the long side of the rectangle farthest from you, roll up the rectangle into a log. 

With a sharp knife, I cut one big slice for the middle part and nine smaller slices, as I wanted to shape it like a flower. 
Spread a baking sheet on the counter, put your cast iron pot on it then measure and mark the paper if necessary. 
Meanwhile, place the large slice in the middle of your baking paper as the cut side up. Lightly press it with your hand. Then arrange the other smaller slices as the petals around the crown, always the cut side is up. I lightly pressed every slice. 

You can always arrange the slices into a buttered pan and bake it, obviously. :)

Set the rolls aside for the second rise for another hour.

Put the cast iron pot into the oven 250C with fan to let it heat up. 

Take the hot pot out of the oven. 

Place the cinnamon rolls by holding the edges of the baking paper into the pot. Cut the excess paper quickly and cover the lid and let it bake for 30 minutes. 

For the sauce, in a small pot, melt the butter and add the milk.Whisk. Add the sugar, salt and vanilla extract and continue whisking until it's a creamy sauce. Pour the sauce all over the cinnamon rolls and serve it warm. 

Bon Appetit,


You Might Also Like

10 Comments

  1. I've never made cinnamon rolls but these look soooo delicious I just might have to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! This was also my first attempt at making these and it was super easy. ^^

      Delete
  2. Oh My Goodness!! Those look soo good!! And now I’m super hungry 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you try the recipe. Let me know if you ever do!^^

      Delete
  3. These sound so delicious I began to drool a little bit haha! I definitely need to make them as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah sorry about that! Thankfully for me, I have some leftover rolls in the freezer. Tag me on twitter or instagram if you try the recipe!^^

      Delete
  4. They look absolutely delicious! I'm a little jealous of how good that dough looks, currently on the hunt for a good GF one x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also would love to develop a GF bread dough recipe but I keep getting lazy everytime... I think chickpea flour would work just fine.

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Total Pageviews

Subscribe