Silent Vlog | How to Host a Turkish High Tea at Home | 2nd Recipe: Roasted Beet and Mushrooms Salad with Arugula

Thursday, February 27, 2020

This is the recipe of the Beet and Mushroom Salad with Arugula seen on two of my youtube videos. I'm preparing the dressing for the salad here: "How to BRUNCH at Home: Menu & Table Setting and Salad Dressings" and I'm making the actual salad here: "Hosting a Turkish High Tea at Home" Below you'll find the detailed recipes.


I've first made this salad for my brunch guests on the video "How to BRUNCH at Home: Menu & Table Setting and Salad Dressings". I'm still super proud of that menu in which every dish goes well together yet they all have different flavours. And the other day, I made it for the Afternoon Tea guests. Although it looks complicated, it is the easiest thing to make. The main ingredients are roasted in the oven, you can even do the roasting overnight and combine them with the arugula the next day. No-fuss.

As for the ingredients, I'm sure if you use wild mushrooms it would taste million times better. I used button mushrooms which are rather bland compared to wild mushrooms. And beets, I love beets. I use them in soups which I might say the colour of soup with beets is amazing. I also love them pickled and make a really tasty and colourful dressing with pickled beets for a tuna salad, or just simply chop some pickled beets and put them over arugula and iceberg lettuce, the best salad ever. Once I roasted them with garlic and olive oil, then pureed everything and used it as a pasta sauce. Yummy and pink.

This is the video in which I prepared the Roasted Beets and Mushrooms with Arugula Salad:


What makes this salad different is the "roasting" which makes everything better and richer in flavour and the dressing. For the video of preparing the dressing scroll down.

ingredients


500 gr. button mushrooms, you can also use wild mushrooms
10 baby beets or 2 large beets
200 gr arugula, washed
olive oil
salt
black pepper
optional: dried mint and red pepper flakes
juice of 1/2 lemon

for the dressing,
1 large shallot, minced
3 tsp pomegranate sauce
1 tsp dijon mustard (or whatever mustard you have)
3 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
black pepper
salt


method


if you have baby beets there is no need to trim them just cut in half or cut in four pieces.
if you have large beets, peel them and cut them into four pieces then slice them half a cm thick. (watch the video for a much clear sense)
in a bowl or on a baking paper, like I did, place the beets and sprinkle some olive oil, about 3 tbsp.
sprinkle 1 tbsp lemon juice, some salt, ground black pepper and some dried mint and red pepper flakes. the last two items are optional I sometimes do that and sometimes don't.
toss them gently and set aside.
cut the mushrooms in half.
in a bowl or on a baking paper, place the mushrooms and sprinkle with olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt, black pepper.

(if the beets are too big I sometimes cover them with another baking sheet and then aluminium foil for the first 15 minutes. Then take the cover off and let them roast for 5 more minutes.)

place them side by side in a baking tray and roast them until they are tender.
mushrooms will cook much quicker than the beets.
take the mushrooms out and check the beets with a knife.

if you are doing this for the next day, keep the beets and mushrooms in baking paper covered with another baking paper and preserved them in the refrigerator if it's summer or in the oven if it's not, depending on the weather.

in a serving bowl, put the arugulas in big chunky pieces. I don't cut them if they are too small and fresh but if you don't like that just cut them in 3 cm wide.
place the beets on top of the arugula and then the mushrooms.

for the dressing,

in a small bowl, whisk together the minced shallot, vinegar, mustard and pomegranate sauce. Add 1/3 cup olive oil, salt, black pepper and whisk.
you can pour the dressing immediately or put it in a dressing jug for the presentation and pour it on the table with your guests.

Don't forget to check out my videos for my table set-ups and other menu items for brunch and afternoon teatime. 

This is the video in which I prepared the dressing and the menu and table set-up for a brunch:



You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. I am a BIG FAN of your setup here! There are so many different rich foods and I love the different flavors you have going on. Beets are delicious - and so good for you. Thanks for sharing the recipe! It is great that it is easy to make. I need to try out the dressing - it sounds interesting with the pomegranate sauce!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy! The dressing is so good! It is somewhat sweet and sour. It goes well with lots of different salads, too. I will soon post the recipe for the salad with honey and lemon dressing, too!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Total Pageviews

Subscribe